The insured

One of the most important things for insurers is to have some basic information that will let them know who you are in order to determine your eligibility to purchase insurance.

Travel Insurance in Canada distinguishes between a Canadian resident and a non-Canadian resident.

A Canadian resident is someone that has coverage with a government health insurance plan or GHIP. If you don’t have coverage with a government plan, you are considered to be either a Visitor to Canada or an inbound International Student. In both cases you must have legal status in Canada: hold a visa or other official document that proves that you entered and are staying in the country legally.

A Visitor to Canada can be a tourist, an immigrant, a foreign worker or even a returning Canadian that has lost coverage with a government health insurance plan (GHIP).

The main difference between Visitors to Canada and International Students is that students are enrolled full-time in a school. For some insurers, the family of a person that qualifies as a student can also be eligible for the International Student Travel Insurance.

A Visitor to Canada that comes with a tourist visa and decides to take a few French courses is not eligible to purchase an International Student coverage. The same applies to a student that decides to stay in Canada after receiving a job offer. He or she might have to apply for new coverage under his or her current legal status.

The insurance plans offered to Canadians, Visitors to Canada and International Students have different rules, exclusions and conditions. You must be sure to purchase the plan that you are eligible for; otherwise your insurance will be null and void.

If you are not sure which plan you should purchase for you or someone else, get in touch with a WeKTI Travel Insurance expert. 

Good insurance starts with a good agent